Friday, August 2, 2013

New England Summer

I spent 6 excellent summers at camp in Vermont, which meant that I thoroughly enjoyed the recent rerun of This American Life's Notes on Camp. 


All campers, past and present, should go have a listen. I thought I'd heard it before but I think I only caught the first few minutes last time. Our days at Lochearn were slightly more structured than most camps, as far as I know, but they really went for it with the Traditions and "Colour War" (although ours was only ever referred to as Blue-Green, "Colour War" being a much too aggressive term). True Blue for life, in case you're interested. I still get goosebumps thinking about standing in a circle with all the other Blue team members, calling Good Luck to the Green team at the end of an event.

I also just finished the third Penderwick book, The Penderwicks at Point Mouette - I love these so much and would have been completely obsessed with them had I discovered them when I was 10 or 11. The three youngest Penderwicks (and their friend Jeffrey) go on vacation to Maine, and have all sorts of merry adventures. LOVE.



We even had an excellent morning of thunderstorms this morning - it made me think of sitting on the porch with my parents, watching storms roll through.

No comments: