Sunday, June 2, 2013

Current favourite recipe: Eggplant Dirty Rice

I agree. It's not the prettiest recipe title. But what it lacks in curb appeal, it makes up for in taste.

The Amateur Gourmet blogged about David Kinch's Eggplant Dirty Rice, as featured in Food and Wine magazine. We tested it out last week and liked it so much we had to make it again when The Stepson was here (he loves spicy food).

I'd never heard of Dirty Rice. It's apparently a Cajun thing, and as a born-and-bred Yankee, I had no knowledge of such awesomeness.

The only changes we made: no salt added (other than the soy sauce), double the garlic (5 cloves -WOOO!), and no white pepper, because we didn't have any. Oh, and a courgette was looking somewhat forlorn in the fridge, so I added it at the same time as the eggplant.


Oh, and we had red romano peppers, rather than green ones. Pretty colours!


Here's the Amateur Gourmet's effort:


And here's ours (I wasn't quick enough to get a shot of the full batch...hungry boys):



We used some of the Cajun hot sauce that The Stepson gave me for Christmas - it was perfect.


Result? 3 very clean plates and 3 very happy campers.


I took the leftovers from batch #1 to work the day after, and it was equally tasty reheated in the microwave the following day.

What are you waiting for? Go make it!

No comments: