Sunday, November 11, 2012

Grace's red quilt

I had most of the fabric for Grace's quilt back in July. Actually, the Tufted Tweets have been in my stash for a while (and were in this quilt from 2011). Oh, and the red was part of Gabi's Annie Dress. Newly purchased were the monaluna chairs (LOVE), the red stripes, and the birds for the back. 


Oh, and some of the polka dots from Gabi's quilt WAY back in 2009. Anyway, I didn't have a ton of any of the fabric, so I cut squares (5", I think), and then sashed them horizontally with grey. Not quite there.


I realised that I wanted to put AsYetUnnamedBaby's name on the quilt, so I added a white panel to the front, the same size as the pieced panels. (Thank you, Hubby, for the quilt feet.)


Then, I was at Quilter's Haven in Wickham Market over the summer to pick up some fabric for Emily's wedding quilt (not done yet...wedding was a month ago...), and spotted these birds. Birds on the front AND on the back? With red? Sweet!


I picked a font I liked, enlarged it to crazy proportions, then printed it out. I reversed the letters, traced them, cut out the fabric, then applique'd them on to the quilt front (the quilt was in suspended animation until she was born and had a name).



I used red thread to zig-zag around the letters, then finished my quilt sandwich and quilted with a meander, avoiding the letters to make them stand out a bit.


I LOVE how it turned out.


Almost as much as I love this selvedge:


All quilted and bound and ready to go. She was born two weeks before we left for New York so there wasn't a huge amount of time!


Ahem. These chaps thought the quilt was for them and were very disappointed to find out it was not.


Thanks to Evan for the quilt feet and the Brooklyn Bridge for the backdrop.


And here it is in its new home. Grace is exceedingly cute (but was a little sleepy at this point)!



No comments: