Sunday, October 16, 2011

Autumn Weekend

We went to Norwich on Saturday, so James could have a long-anticipated burger at Captain America's. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. The burger was reasonable, the American cheese was excellent, and our fries had mega potential but were slightly under-cooked. 10 out of 10 for the sign out front, though!



We went sailing this morning at Levington with EAST - we were supposed to be racing but the light wind died completely right as we left the harbour. It picked up when we got back into the harbour (after much paddling), and so we went back out for another half hour's sailing. While we were drifting about, I decided I was hot, so I took off my shoes and socks and rolled up my jeans and stuck my feet in the water. My goodness, is the North Sea cold in October!

Before we went out, I took some pics (we had to drop James off at his school's rugby festival at 8:30 so we were rather early to Levington...)

I can't decide which of these two I like better. Votes?



James gave me The Primrose Bakery Book for my birthday (John was miffed - he had bought me a copy and put it away as a Christmas present!), so after poring over it, we decided to make Lemon Meringue Cupcakes.


Amazing. Best cupcakes I've ever tasted. And yes, they have meringue hats instead of normal icing (there's also a hidden blob of lemon curd in the middle).


Here's one of the James' Nazgul, diving in for a cupcake...


I had never made meringues before, but we blobbed the leftovers onto my silicone baking mat thingy and put them in the oven for an hour. Excellent. Only problem...what does one do with 5 egg yolks?

2 comments:

alimac1234 said...

I really like the top photo, but both are good. And 5 egg yolk? Batter for frying. It may be time to make fish and chips! Great dress for Gabi. The pockets are the best.

Vivren said...

I like the upper photo too. 5 egg yolks means time for pound cake!