Sunday, July 24, 2011

Initial design: NY Rangers Heritage Jersey quilt

My brother doesn't really like stuff - he is a fan of fairly spartan living. After he saw pictures of the Tufted Tweets quilt, he asked if I would make him a quilt. Wait, you want a quilt? Like pieces of fabric sewn together that will sit on your couch? You're sure? Ok, then.

I asked if he had any particular designs in mind, and he said that he'd like a NY Rangers quilt. Specifically, one inspired by their new Heritage Jersey. Thank you, google image search. I looked around online and unlike the NBA, MLB, and NCAA, the NHL do NOT license fabric. Ok, fine. I also checked Flickr and the interwebs in general and there don't seem to be many (any?) Rangers quilts out there.

This is the design I've come up with:


My brother is a huge bike geek, so when I found this fabric on Spoonflower, I was pretty excited. I'm going to use it for the red stripe at the bottom, and possibly some of the applique. I'm definitely going to use it on the back, as well.

bicycle symbol red and white

The plan is to find a few different blues (possibly in a super-fun adventure to Purl Soho when I'm in NYC in September), and then applique the NEW YORK onto the quilt. I hope he likes it. I haven't decided what to use for the binding yet - white (will it get too dirty?), more red, a blue and red stripe, or some other colour entirely.

Oh, and John has been making cinnamon raisin bread. Yummy.



No comments: