Friday, January 7, 2011

Review: The Charming Quirks of Others

I came across an unread (GASP) Alexander McCall Smith on my travels across the internet, so I quickly remedied that and added The Charming Quirks of Others to my library queue.

I, um, read it in less than 24 hours. Granted, it was a 24 hour period in which I was valiantly battling a cold/sore throat combo and was tucked up in bed for most of it, but still.

Isabel Dalhousie was her usual pensive self, and while nothing really happened during the 200+ pages, it was a lovely book to enjoy under the duvet with a cup of tea. I love her random musings, especially that they tend to happen when she is conversing with others, much to their mystification.


As part of my convalescence, I had the Thai Curry Chicken soup from Waitrose (see this post). It was supremely restorative. I tend towards spicy foods when I have a cold - the hotter the better. It was a little bit gritty (maybe it was the spices?), but otherwise very tasty. And, unlike some other packaged soups, was just right for one serving. I find they are normally 600+ calories and more than one serving, but I finish them anyway and then feel too full.

(Picture is from my trip to RI in October - currently my desktop background).

No comments: