Monday, January 5, 2009

Neil Gaiman: The Graveyard Book

I just finished reading Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. Ok, "just finished" isn't exactly true. I finished it about 45 minutes ago, pondered it for 5 minutes, and turned back to the beginning and started again.

It is a dark but whimsical story about a boy named Nobody who lives in a graveyard and has been raised by the ghosts who live there.

Gaiman uses conventional mythology to root the story: a vampire and a werewolf are both involved, along with a witch, a sort of Cerberus creature, and some entertaining ghouls.

I *think* I may go out and buy a copy; John and James will both enjoy it and it's the kind of book I will happily reread.

Next on the list: a 'Richard and Judy' summer read which will prove to be forgettable, methinks. I can't sully my evening of reading with it, though - I'll just have to read some more Graveyard and then go to bed early.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a glowing review.
I'm going to put this on my library list :) thanks!

Anonymous said...

Kate after mentioning your site is taking ages to work, have finally been patient and caught up.
I have nearly finished Gaiman's American Gods which is amazing. Will definitely check out The Graveyard (once I've finished my novel) Sounds fab. He's so original. Talk soon x