Friday, September 19, 2008

Mussels a la Rhode Island

We had mussels for dinner tonight, inspired by a dinner that John had while we were at Stella Blues in Warren, RI. It was mussels in a [too] spicy tomato sauce over linguine and it looked SO good. Granted, my jambalaya was amazing, but that just seems too complicated.

After trawling the web for recipes, we basically made a marinara sauce using sauteed onions and garlic, a can of chopped tomatoes and 6 shakes of the Tabasco bottle (John was in charge), and then boiled the pasta and dumped the mussels in. SO YUMMY. But a little on the watery side - I think next time we'll let the tomatoes cook down some more (or use fresh ones and tomato paste). I realized after we'd done the dishes that I should have taken a picture. You'll just have to imagine it.

I rang at Stowmarket again last night - I practiced the usual trebling to Plain Bob Doubles (we only rang the front 6) and then we rang some called changes with me on the 6th. I love the big, heavy bells so much - I have no idea why I find them so compelling. I think it's the really solid feel of the ropes and the big ::BONG:: noise that they make.

I've also finished The Book Thief. It really grew on me - it went from being 'another holocaust book' to a really compelling story. It's narrated by 'Death', and he certainly had a unique perspective on things. It's nowhere near as heavy as I thought it would be, either. Definitely recommend it.

No comments: