Saturday, June 30, 2007

Saturday Morning

I love Saturday mornings - the whole weekend seems to stretch in front of me. John and I had curry last night (surprise, surprise), and then went to Blockbuster. We rented 'Cars,' which I'd been dying to see - I'd seen parts of it on New Year's Day, but it had made me queasy (or I was queasy anyway). I thought it was great, even though I find Owen Wilson (and his voice) incredibly annoying. I loved the cameo appearance from the Car Talk boys (Click & Clack!) as the announcers for Lightning's sponsors. And then they had Jeremy Clarkson as his smarmy British agent (only in the UK version).

I thought it was really great casting, and I was amazed at the tiny subset of people (expats, all) who would recognize those three voices. If anybody else did or knows who they all are, let me know. I'm sure I'm not alone, but it's got to be a small group.

AGES ago, Rebeka asked me for the lamb/tomato/zucchini recipe that I've found. As I was typing it out for her, I figured she might not be the only one who might like it!

Lamb Steaks with Tomato and Courgette Crush (adapted from BBC Good Food - June 07)
Serves 2
Prep 10 mins
Cook time 10 mins

Ingredients
* 2 courgettes
* herbes de provence
* 2 tbsp olive oil
* 2 garlic cloves, chopped
* 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
* handful chopped parsley or corriander
* 2 lamb leg steaks

1. Chop the courgettes into large chunks, then boil or steam until tender, about 5 mins. Tip into a colander and lightly press out as much liquid as possible using a potato masher or fork, then chop the courgettes into smaller pieces (or not, I don't bother with this)
2. Heat the oil in a pan, add the garlic and tomatoes, then fry briefly until the tomatoes are just softening. Stir in the courgettes and heat through, then add the chopped parsley or coriander and stir through. Keep warm.
3. Season the lamb steaks, and cover with h.d.p. and olive oil, and grill for 3-4 mins each side. Serve with the tomato & courgette crush on the side.

We serve this with crusty bread for dipping (and make extra garlic/tomato/o.o. sauce to drizzle over). Yum!

No comments: