Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Official News: Nothing Happening in Suffolk

Went in to town today to get some groceries and some stuff from Boots. I love Boots, by the way. There's no real equivalent in the US...I can't imagine going in to CVS to buy the store brand of anything, as opposed to the Boots house brand, which is really good.

Anyway, I was in town, and decided to stop in to the Mid-Suffolk Tourist Office, which is right next to the supermarket. I went in when I was here in November to get the leaflet of "What's On," and wanted to get the updated one. I looked around and couldn't find it, so I asked the woman at the counter where it was.

She furrowed her brow and said, "Well, we don't have it."

Familiar with newsletters at various places I've worked, I know that they have a tendency to get out late, so I asked when it would arrive.

She replied, "No, there isn't one."

"Oh," I said.

"It wasn't worth printing...there's nothing going on."

Oh dear. Bear in mind that this is the January AND February joint issue. So not only is there nothing happening for the rest of January (and nothing has happened thus far, there's nothing happening next month either. Officially.

I miss New York.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just to keep it in perspective, when we first moved to New Rochelle (about three years before you were born and became the darling of Sutton Manor)I went to buy a postcard of New Rochelle. Nothing. When I asked why, the answer was that if anybody came here to visit or work, they certainly wouldn't want to send a postcard to write home about it! Frigid weather has eased a bit tonight, to be followed by heavy rain and southwest winds overnight. Maybe even a thunderstorm, which Rrufus will not enjoy....